Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Dance Dilemma

This entry i haf been wanting to pen it down 4 quite sometime liao....
This has been running in my mind since 2003/04 when i returned to dancing arena again... Esp when i returned to NHSS & DI.
I oso know tt even at the end of this entry, my question still will not be answered, i can only sincerely pray tt 'these type of ppl' continuously appear in my life to assist & guide me...
I know nobody can give me an answer, & much less be able to convince me with their answers, but whoever gets to read this, i still sincerely value ur comments, so pls still give me ur constructive comments...
Even if this entry becomes out-dated, if anybody happens to chance upon this entry, can still contact me & give me ur views, i still will take into account...


Lets get started:
What is a good dance/ dancer?
I haf an answer myself but i dun wish to be limited by my own answer becos i dun wanna be labelled a 'frog in the well'*, hence i wanna hear more answers/ more comments... unfortunately, ppl who r able to give me constructive comments r getting lesser & lesser..
* I myself hate frogs in the well so i try my veri best to listen to feedback & improve each & everytime...

Now, the case in my life is tt those who can give me constructive feedback r getting lesser & lesser.. Talk crap one alot... so huh, oso dunno what to do...

Quote an eg out of the many incidents:
I went back to NHSS, assisted Mr Low in NHSS SYF 2005 lah... Of cos 2003 already start to go back liao, but when i really interfere is 2004... So the story goes...
Seeing them dance ever since 2003 -2004, i realize the definition of a good dance/ dancer has changed.. Dunno is good or bad... N in DI oso, dancing with Kai wei & the batch of new dancers1, the definition has changed... No sacarcism here but i really dunno is good/bad...

1
the new batch i refer to those who participated in Wu Ju3 with me only...
For this batch i can say the change is 'Not Bad' as in like neutral, no good oso no bad... They juz showed me another way of 'wat is a perf'... So okie, i learnt alot from them too, so not bad lah, at least i learnt new things...

But huh in NHSS, i really dunno what to comment, as in how to ans my 1st qtn mentioned above... What is a good dance/ dancer?

Their definition i dunno, i oso dunno how to comment...
Becos Mr Low tell them, 'ermm... Not Bad', aft seeing their 'full-out'...
so what is the standard? really okie?
Then how come last time when i was a student, the standard requested of us was so diff?
Of cos i can understand Mr Low's mixed feelings aft so many yrs of teaching & seeing so many batches lah...

His comments of that NHDS made me think thru & threw me into a Dilemma, tt's was when i started asking tt qtn....

Becos even Mr Low rarely give me comments now, which scares me a little, cos like i said, i dun wanna be labelled a frog in the well, i wanna obtain lots of feedback, esp credible feedback... If i didnt do well enough in smth, can tell me...
The last time Mr Low commented honestly on me, (not those courteous words Ke Tao Hua), is in Wu Ju3.. During Kopitiam & Bottle up, he commented i danced well & tt i brought out the atmosphere & laughter he wanted in the audience.. I.E. i fulfiled e expectations of his choreography.. He was surprized tt i could still dance aft i stopped 4 so long, i oso v glad..

For Kopitiam, me & Wei Yun brought out the laughter, for Bottle Up, me & Ade brought out the Suppression he wanted...
Tt's was the last time comments were not given becos of courteousy... Which is y i treasured the comments so much...

Another thing which i really even treasured more is comments on myself in Wu Ju3 given by Bai Ying Wen (Lao Shi). Bai Ying Wen Lao Shi is an instructor & lecturer in NAFA Dance department... Same as Bao Shun Lao Shi, Bai Lao Shi oso good friend of Mr Low.
He went to c Wu Ju3 & when the thing ended, he commented on my perf. He commented tt i haf done well... I was so happy & honoured becos when this happened, Mr Low was not ard, he juz came to me & told me i done well...(so its not courteous words, as in he dun need give face to Mr Low juz becos i m his student mah, aft all Mr Low not ard...)
N he not only say i done well, he analyze where i done well, where not so good... hence i treasure this feedback alot...



Okie now back to the topic, what is unfortunate is tt not every1 is like Bai Lao Shi can point out to me where i not done sufficient, so e constructive feedback i haf been receiving is getting lesser & lesser as the yrs go by... Oso maybe got ppl scared offend me den nv tell me... Most impt of all, credibility ah... If i really nv do well, e person telling me this muz help me pt out where not good n how to do better mah....

Sigh, i can only pray 4 more of these ppl like Bao Shun Lao Shi & Bai Lao Shi to appear in my life & guide me...
So @ e end of this entry, the question still stays: What is a good dance/ dancer?
Some1 guide/ teach me pls?

Mind is still in Chaos, in a Dilemma..... =(

1 comment:

Shinmywings said...

wa...u veri free sia...everyday so mani entry...haha...anyway looks lik i cant realli help u...my skills r worse den urs...haha...take care...