Wednesday, July 06, 2005

NHSS Dance Society - My ECA (part 2)

Continued from previous entry, i shall now touch on Forging Ahead, my grad dance in 1999..
As the version is diff, i do not wish to comment too much but even if i were to judge it independently as a new dance on its own, there is still so much room 4 improvement...

To me, FA is not only a dance, it was my 'baby' so-called as i took part a little in the choreographing of the steps, the solely guys' dance steps, to be exact... So, it has a diff meaning for me, cos it was my 2nd attempt in choreographing... But apart from this, this dance was oso not only a dance, it was a work of friendship... Becos though every1 may bu shuang every1 here & there, but whenever we stood on stage, the music rolls, every1 juz gets immersed in the dance & forgets abt everything else.. This moment is always 'pure', with no hatred, no foreign feelings, only dance exists...

FA has my emotions in it.. I mean although i haf danced so many yrs & yup, i enjoy new pieces such as Bottle Up/ Kopitiam, my favourite is still FA.. It has my works in it, it's like a baby to me... Till today, i can only recall the memories but becos time moves on heartlessly, my feeling of dancing together with those ppl is fading away as time passes by... I can only recall the soul/feeling of the dance when i hear the music again.. This is already the bare minimum.. As to the feeling of 'dancing together again', it juz fades as the dayz goes by... I can no longer grab hold of tt feeling, i just lose it bit by bit...

When i heard the music today, i can feel the soul of e dance, then when i open my eyes & see them dancing, its a diff picture altogether.. It's rather sad i would say... Honestly, i didnt expect such a great standard deviation... This standard deviation dun refer to the usual dance standard i m always talking abt... What i m saying is this:

Imagine U close ur eyes & listen to the music, the music brings back memories & the feel 4 e dance, u immerse in the music, painting out a pic of ur feelings.. Then when u open ur eyes, u c a dance tt is so diff from what u painted in ur mind... Tt accounts for the standard deviation... Difference in picture..

This FA perf in July is totally different from tt of 1999.. So for fairness, i sincerely wish tt those juniors dancing this item dun go & compare with tt of 1999. Firstly, one is SYF, one is sch perf, time span is different, the dancers' mood to dance is different.. Today i went back saw them dance, they were like playing/ fooling ard.. So how is it fair to compare the two dances? Next, version is so different, how to compare? I m sad to pen all these down is becos i read tt those juniors r like so proud to dance FA, & thought tt they were doing a good job... I m not condemning them, i m juz pure sad... I mean, they claimed tt they r honoured to dance FA, but yet they juz fool ard, & dun respect the dance... I m sad cos FA is of significant meaning to me, it's different from other pieces of works...
I pray: Pls dun compare this FA to tt in 1999, those ppl who did tt & were v proud of themselves, i can only say: U ppl juz play ard, dun even respect the dance piece itself, how come u claim u r v proud to be in tt dance? Still compared it with 1999 somemore...

I m actually okie with it if this is viewed as a different piece of work, but when some ppl compare (1stly they already shouldnt, if they knew how the original FA was like, the difference in version & many other elements stated above), i juz feel so negative... =(

Bottomline: I choreographed the solely guys' part actions(partially) in the original FA, I dun mind my juniors now dance tt piece, but pls respect the perf.. Pls dun compare it with 1999, it's so unfair.. Lastly once again, i m always disappointed tt 'frogs in the well' exist... Every dance item has its uniqueness & significance, by comparing it side by side(moreover diff version), the person is not respecting the item itself & the performers...
It's like an idiot comparing betw a cultural dance & a modern dance, then commenting which dance is better...(Note: is dance itself, not e dancers)

Despair
End of Entry (part2)

No comments: